Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Environmental Factors


John 13:34
“A new commandment I give you:  Love one another.  As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

            Moonbeam is utterly fascinated by my shawls.  She supervises the path of the yarn, kneads the skeins, and snuggles into the folds of the material.  She means no harm.  But she leaves behind tiny strands of fur which become incorporated into the shawls.  Moonbeam - my mostly Siamese cat - is part of my household, as is my Labrador Daisy and their orange tabby Gilbert.  They are all part of my life and also add pieces of themselves to the shawls.
            I store my shawls during the weeks between the meetings in a huge plastic bag into which I drop scented soap.  The stored shawls emerge smelling of floral bouquets, and sometimes still bear traces of Moonbeam, Daisy and Gilbert.
            People who smoke or drink alcohol exude a scent through their pores, so I am glad -- not only for the shawls’ recipients’ sake -- that I no longer smoke or drink.  People who wear strong perfumes also add their own essence to the shawls and yarns donated to the ministry.  Yarn often comes to us smelling of wherever it was stored: moldy closets, dusty attics, mouse-infested garages.  Sometimes they are infused with cedar, mothballs, or lavender.
            Fur and odors can be washed away, but the idea that the things in your life cling to everything you do should not be forgotten. 

Heavenly Father, forgive those who gossip about me.  I know I did some really wicked things in my life, and I’ll never be able to walk down the street without someone whispering behind my back.  I did those things.  You and I have discussed those things and You have forgiven me, so between us, those things do not exist anymore.  But the world doesn’t look at me the same way You do.  Help me to be the kind of person from here on out that only bits and pieces of Your kingdom will cling to my works.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment