Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hoarding Supplies

Matthew 6: 19-21
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

My Prayer Shawl Ministry has Yarn Angels who spend their Saturday mornings -- and their money -- gleaning boxes of yarn from garage sales.  Along with the brand-new and used skeins of yarn are half finished projects: baby blankets, dozens of tiny granny squares, armless sweaters and sweater-less arms.  It's so sad.
My spare bedroom is packed full of bags of yarn and unfinished projects and pattern books.  One whole drawer is filled with crocheted flowers. I work diligently to turn every skein of yarn into something useful.  I scold myself when I buy yarn for a new project when I have so many skeins already.  But I buy it anyway.
It's so sad.
Yarn is unfulfilled potential when it is in a spare room or set aside for a rainy day. 
I have put an addendum in my will -- all yarn, hooks, needles, and craft books will be given to my Prayer Shawl Ministry at my death.  I like that idea, but I would rather give away completed shawls during my lifetime.
Sometimes I wonder what spiritual resources I am hoarding.  Did I refrain from sharing a smile because I myself was grumpy?  Did I forget to pray for someone because I was too wrapped up in something else?  Did I wear out my voice hollering when I should have been singing?  And comfort, did I save it for loved ones and deny strangers?
When I go to heaven, I hope to leave behind finished projects, not unused supplies.

Jesus, let me be generous with the things You give me.  Love, hope, joy, understanding, compassion, wisdom, faith:  help me share these things.  Help me use these things to further your kingdom.  In your name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment