Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rhythm

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
There is a time for everything,
And a season for every activity under heaven:
A time to be born and a time to die,
A time to plant and a time to uproot,
A time to kill and a time to heal,
A time to tear down and a time to build,
A time to weep and a time to laugh,
A time to mourn and a time to dance,
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
A time to embrace and a time to refrain,
A time to search and a time to give up,
A time to keep and a time to throw away
A time to tear and a time to mend,
A time to be silent and a time to speak,
A time to love and a time to hate,
A time for war and a time for peace.

Abide with me, fast falls the evening tide, I hum softly and double crochet my way along the side of my triangular shawl.  The rhythm of the song matches the motions of my hands.  The song soothes me; the shawl grows.
Some stitches call for faster songs.  I Must Tell Jesus works well for chains and single crochets.  Deep River and Amazing Grace accompanies more intricate or elaborate stitches.
Different stitches call for different rhythms.
I crochet much faster than most people, so my rhythm is swifter than theirs.  I don't match my rhythm to anyone around me.  I have my own patterns to follow and my own ability to guide me.  Luckily I have memorized enough hymns, scriptures, and creeds to keep me going as I work through easy, difficult, and challenging stitches.  Before I know it, the project is complete.
There is a rhythm to life as well.  The rhythm flies swiftly through easy situations, steadily through harder patches, and solidly through times of turmoil and despair.  I don't expect anyone to match my rhythm for more than a short time; they have a different pattern to follow.  When one song ends, I begin another.  I sing, pray, and recite my way through life.

God, it’s really hard right now.  I don’t know that I can do this.  Please, sweet Jesus, give me the strength I need to face what lies ahead.  Everything was so easy just yesterday!  I trust that things will be easier in a little while.  Just don’t let me stop loving You.  Don’t let me stop serving You.  It is so tough right now.  But You are my strength.  I know You will see me through.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment