Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To Crochet or to Knit


To Knitters -- Proverbs 19: 14
Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.
To Crocheters -- I Corinthians 7: 8
Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: it is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.

A knitted shawl is soft, feminine, and brings comfort to the wearer.  A crocheted shawl does exactly the same thing.
Booties protect and warm the feet of babies whether they were knitted or crocheted.
Crocheted afghans serve the same purpose as knitted ones.
I have never read a commandment anywhere that states, Thou shall knit.  Or Blessed are the crotcheters even though they are only half as good as knitters.
There are some patterns and some yarns that lend themselves better to crochet than to knit.  And definitely, there are some people who are better suited to knit than to crochet.
But the purpose of both is to create and the end result is the same.
I know how to knit; I just never caught on to knitting as well as I did to crocheting.  As a crochet artist, I invent my own patterns, teach others, and produce projects well.  As a knitter, I lost count, dropped stitches, forgot which direction I was going, and usually produced a miserable looking scarf (which the pattern described as a king-sized afghan.)
I believe God created me to crochet.  If, eventually, God wants me to knit, He will provide evenly matched needles and a pattern well suited to my talents and His ambitions. (It sure would be nice if God gave me someone who loves to sing.)
In your shawl ministries, try to include knitters and crocheters.  Some work well in pairs; others work best singly.  But if God is the Master Designer, the end results will be the same.

Jesus, never let me forget to include every woman into my circle of friends.  Don’t ever let me expect someone to spend time with me and exclude their spouse.  Don’t ever let me offer an invitation in such a way that a woman would not feel comfortable attending if she came alone.  To some people, you gave the gift of holy matrimony.  To other people, you gave the gift of being unmarried.  You chose the gift for us, not the other way around.  Don’t let me forget that.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment