Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Value

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

            My favorite shawl pattern calls for fifteen ounces of four-ply yarn.  The material costs about eight dollars and I can complete one in eight hours.  Another pattern calls for forty-four ounces of two ply yarn for about thirty-two dollars and takes at least a week to make because the directions are so intricate.  Both patterns result in gorgeous shawls of the same dimensions which are received equally well.  The materials cost different amounts of money and time, but the true value is how the materials are used.  So the shawls are of equal value.
            Christian works are very much like shawls.  Some projects cost more than others in material, time, and attention to detail.  But the end result for all Christian works should be the same -- leading all souls to heaven.
            I can't sing in front of thousands -- well, I could, but the thousands wouldn't appreciate it.  I can't physically build a house or adopt orphaned refugees.  I have very little medical skills and speak only English and a grocery-store-smattering of Spanish.  But I can crochet.  And I can pray.  I pray over the things I crochet and pray for the people who receive the things I crochet.  And this helps lead people to heaven.
            Salvation is the most valuable gift in the world.

My Savior, help me accept the limitations to my talents, not by being discouraged or by giving up, but by using what I can do to further your kingdom.  Whatever I can do, let me do it so that all souls will be led to heaven.  In your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment