Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Opportunities

Matthew 7:7
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.”

I carry my crochet bag with me everywhere I go.  I crochet while watching TV, while visiting with friends, while waiting for appointments, and while being driven places (not while I myself am driving).  People watch my fingers in fascination and we begin to talk.
I tell them what I'm making and let them feel the material.  I tell them about the Prayer Shawl Ministry and the Teen Parent Centers and the Prayer Shawls for Fallen Soldiers’ Families.  Then I offer them an extra crochet hook and a spare ball of yarn and ask them if they would like to learn.
What a wonderful way to open doors!  By telling them about what I'm doing, I help revive the dying art of crochet.  By letting them feel the project, I make a connection between concept and reality.  Touching the material also links the stranger to good childhood memories of beloved mothers and grandmothers who crocheted or knitted.  By telling them about the Prayer Shawl Ministry, the infants and adjudicated youths we help, and the Prayer Shawls for Fallen Soldiers’ Families, I open two doors: one of participation by way of membership or donations, the other of possible new recipients of prayers and shawls.  Finally, by handing them the tools, I offer them an opportunity to begin a new journey.
            I take my Master with me everywhere I go, too.  I live my religion, opening opportunities for people to ask me questions and reconnect with Jesus.  I talk about my beliefs, opening opportunities for participation and receiving prayer.  I share my faith, offering prayer, scripture, and songs as tools to help others begin a new journey to salvation.

Master, don’t let me skip over an opportunity to share your kindness with strangers.  Don’t let me be too busy to comfort a friend.  Don’t let me be too tired to listen to the needs of my family.  When someone knocks, let me be the one You allow to open the door.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment