Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Why Hooks Aren't Made of Gold


Proverbs 8:17-19
I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.  With me are riches and honor, enduring wealth and prosperity.  My fruit is better than fine gold; what I yield surpasses choice silver.

            Wars have been won and lost over it.  Murders have been committed for it.  Marriages are banded in it.  Prizes are named after it.  Gold: civilization's most precious metal.
            Anthropologists claim that the first age of tools were wooden implements.  Wood is common, easy to shape, easy to replace, and from a renewable resource.  The first needles and hooks were wooden.
            Most of the hooks in my bag are aluminum or plastic.  These materials are renewable, common, sturdy, and inexpensive.  I've never had one break or bend -- when used properly -- and have given dozens away.  I can easily find them at stores, thrift shops, and garage sales.  I never worry about them being stolen.
I was surprised to learn how soft gold is.  It is described as a malleable metal.  It's not strong.  It does tarnish and eventually corrodes.  Gold is often the target of thieves, and it is very expensive.
Crochet hooks or knitting needles would not work well made of gold.  They would be very pretty, but they would bend from use.  I couldn't afford many of them, and certainly would be reluctant to give them away.  As I sat in the waiting rooms crocheting, it would be the hook not the shawl which attracted bystanders.  When offered a hook and a skein, the stranger would snatch them, but not to learn how to crochet; not to become a productive giver.
The emphasis of any project should not be on the tool, but the end result.
            I am content to be common, sturdy, and reliable.  I don't want people admiring me.  I want them to benefit from what I do.

Father, keep me common and unremarkable.  Allow me to be used for your kingdom, power, and glory, now and forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment