Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Baby Booties

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.


During the autumn of 2004, my small town was crossed by the paths of four hurricanes.  My house was without electricity about one out of every three weeks during that time.  Schools were canceled, roads were blocked.  So I crocheted.  I developed this pattern by experimentation, and when the fourth hurricane had seen the last of my small town that October, I had bags filled with over ninety pairs of booties and about three dozen baby blankets.  A year later, I gave them to the Teen Parent Center (one of my many schools that year).  I was delighted that these things which were created in such a time of despair were used to celebrate times of birth.

These are worked in two parts: the foot and the cuff.  They can be worked in any size yarn, but the smaller the hook, the smaller the bootie.  Baby yarn & size f or smaller hook makes a new-born size.  Four-ply yarn & size f hook makes a one-year size.  In general, one skein with seven ounces of yarn will make nine pairs.

Foot:
  • chain 3, join in circle
  • Turning chain (chain 3, turn – called the ‘turning chain’ here & through out), 17 DC in circle
  • Ruffle:  Turning chain, sc to front loop of next stitch.  Chain 3.  SC in same loop. Chain 3, sc to front loop of next stitch.  Chain 3.  SC in same loop. Chain 3, sc to front loop of next stitch.  Chain 3.  SC in same loop. Chain 3, sc to front loop of next stitch.  Chain 3.  SC in same loop. Chain 3
  • SC in back loop of next stitch.  In back loop of each individual stitch here and through out:   SC two times, 2 SC in next stitch.  DC two times, 2 DC in next 2 stitches, DC two times.  2 SC in next stitch.  SC three times. (This should put you at the ruffle.)
  • 12 chain. Attach with slip stitch at the other side of the ruffle (where you ended the last chain and began stitching around the medallion).
  • SC in each stitch around medallion. DC in each chain stitch
  • Next row: SC, Reduce by one SC in two loops.  Repeat to end of row.
  • Next row: Reduce by one SC in two loops to end of row.
  • Next row: Reduce by one SC in three loops (three times.) Tie off.  Pull knot & yarn into the foot and weave & trim.

Cuff:
  • Attach with slip stitch directly behind first stitch of ruffle.  SC, Reduce by one SC in two loops.  Repeat until you get to the ruffle.  SC in the back (front to you now) loop of each ruffle.  Slip stitch to close.
  • Turning chain.  Begin working on the outside of bootie.  DC in each stitch.  Slip stitch to close.
  • Turning chain. DC in each stitch.  Slip stitch to close.
  • Turning chain.  DC behind each DC column of previous row.  Last DC should be worked behind the turning chains of this and the previous row – you will have to fold down the cuff.
  • Slip stitch to base of second row.  Tie off & pull yarn inside bootie.  Weave & trim

Make 2 for each pair . . .

My God,
I wasn't there when you formed the heavens or the earth.  I wasn't there when you decided to crunch up the mountains or lay the deep oceans.  I was there when you walked me through dark places and horrors and times of weeping and great sorrow.  You never left my side when I yelled and screamed at you for the things I lived through.  I'm stronger now.  I don't look at death the same way as I did.  I don't fear destruction the way I did before.  These things are a part of life.  But you place your loving arms around me and remind me that we are not of this earth; we are part of eternity.
  I love you, God.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment