Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Who Is in Control?

Psalm 40: 4
Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.

I facilitate my writer's group, Writers for All Seasons.  I run my Prayer Shawl Ministry.  I sing soprano in my choir.  I drive my car.  I own my house.  I am a woman in charge of my life.
In every situation, there will always be someone else who tries to take over my meetings.  There will always be some piece of equipment or material which will diminish my control over my environment.  Men may have good old boy systems, but women have pecking orders.  There always seems to be someone trying to peck their way to the top and trample me on the way.
This used to bother me immensely.  I would cry.  I would get angry.  I would say vindictive things and instigate sweet revenge.  I was miserable.  I was tolerably successful but absolutely miserable.
So what happened?  I learned to trust God.  I put Him in control. 
Now I tell Writers for All Seasons that I am the facilitator, not the dictator, and we all share an equal part in the group.  I take a more pro-active role in my Prayer Shawl Ministry as an organizer, but we are equal participants.  In my educational career, I stopped putting myself in charge of my peers and now enjoy just doing my job.  I blend my voice with the choir and it sounds so much better than a bunch of soloists singing at the same time.
I am a woman in charge of my life.  I'm in charge of my life because God is in control of me.  I defer all major decisions to Him.  I discuss all situations with Him.  He is my counselor.  He unfolds the universe at my feet and shows me where to step. (I don't always follow the path He shows me, but I admit that He was right when I eventually wind my way back.)  He never leaves me.  He never forces His decisions on me; I have free will.  I choose to have God be in charge of my life.
That's the secret of a successful Prayer Shawl Ministry.  You run it, but let God be in control.

Dearest God,
Remember when I said You could guide me and guard me?  Remember when I asked you to protect and preserve me?  And about that whole direct and defend me thing – please do.  Always.  Forever.  Be in control of my life.  Thank you! Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment