Come sit with me

I love blue, purple and scarlet yarn! I have crocheted most of my life, and when I found out that there were women across the nation who were forming Prayer Shawl Ministries, I became so excited; I started one at my church. The Wednesday devotionals on this blog weave together the art of crocheting and the love of God. Plus there are quotations on leadership, patterns, book reviews, and news from other Prayer Shawl Ministries. So if God has filled you with a love for crocheting & knitting, pull out those blue, purple and scarlet yarns and those crochet hooks and knitting needles and join me.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Confidential Charity

Luke 17: 2-3
It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin.  So watch yourselves.

            Most of my life has been spent as an elementary teacher, so I have this face that seems to be respected and trusted by total strangers.  The fact that it also breaks cameras is fine.  I'll take trust and respect over photogenics any day.  I also hate to stand in lines, so I talk to people.  I love talking to people, and inevitably, someone bares their soul to me.
What a blessing to me, that God uses me to help open the doors to people's hearts.
            My Prayer Shawl Ministry members collect cards during the two weeks between our meetings.  These cards have the name, prayer requests and delivery instructions for those who would benefit from receiving our shawls.  Obviously, some of the difficulties these recipients go through are sensitive in nature -- or the fodder of juicy gossip!
            These women are going through the worst of times; trusting Christian women with their hurts and prayer requests.  They are as vulnerable as children during this time.  And to betray this confidence is as evil as hurting a child.
            As a teacher, I have found myself longing to see millstones miraculously appear around some parents’ necks.  I will never forget the belt buckle scars embedded in my student’s skin, the burn marks down their tiny arms, the jagged slashes down their legs from thorny switches.  I will never forget their hot tears and sorrowful sobs.  These children were victims of betrayed confidence.
            Be sure, as Prayer Shawl Ministry members and leaders, that you never betray confidences.  Treat all prayer requests as confidential.

Jesus, let your will be done in each woman’s life.  Let me treat her with respect and keep her confidences.  Let me be to her as You have been to me: a counselor, a comforter, a friend.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment